Saturday, January 27, 2007

Helpful stuff

So, I started studying Japanese on my own in August (pretty much as soon as I got back from 2 weeks in Japan). I've learned a bit, but my knowledge is very incomplete, and I'm sure I've fallen into some bad habits -- which is why I'm so happy to be taking a class. Anyhow, I've found some useful things for study that I am happy to pass along:

Two podcasts I've found both entertaining and helpful:
JapanesePod101
LearnJapanese

"Remembering the Kana: The Hiragana / The Katakana" James W. Heisig (book). Great mnemonics.
I'm happy to lend this out if anybody wants to borrow it for a while.

Kana-no-Quiz: flashcard software for learning the kana, totally free, Mac, Windows, & Linux. Great for drilling.

Rikaichan
- a free add-on for FireFox web browser. It's a dictionary that automatically looks up Japanese words and individual Kanji, simply by holding the mouse cursor over them. Sato-Sensei has it linked from his blog page, but I had to mention it as well because it is such an awesome resource.

Kinokuniya - a Japanese bookstore on 49th street, by Rockefeller center. Books, CDs, DVDs, magazines (er, ざっし), manga, etc. On the 2nd floor they have a great selection of books and flashcards for learning Japanese.

Add comments or email me with anything you've discovered!


Neil

4 comments:

satoza said...

I know Japanaese Pod101. This is a fun podcast, no?

We will make a link on our homepage! どうもありがとうございます、ニールさん!

Brian said...

いいボロゴですよ。
こんいちは!
わたしはブライアン「Brian」でバージニアだいがく「UVA」のがくせいです。

I wish I'd had that "remembering kana" book first semester... after we learned hiragana, getting to know the katakana without mixing them up was a pain.
Good luck in class.

satoza said...

Have you ever heard of "Bookoff"?

14 East 41st Street New York, NY10017

http://www.bookoff.co.jp/english/shops/kaigai02.html

J Gott said...

neil, you rock!