Thursday, February 1, 2007

Score!

It looks like I'm going to Japan this summer (この なつ?)! I have "preliminary" acceptance to do research at 東京大学 (とうきょうだいがく). So, god-willing, I'll be living near Ueno from June until August!

The particle の confuses me a little bit, as far as the order of the nouns. it seems to correspond to both possesives, adjectives, and prepositional phrases. Like, 'above the desk' is 'tsukue no ue', 'berlin, germany' is 'doitsu no barin', and 'my cat' is 'watashi no neko'. So, a med student is "isha no gakusei" or "gakusei no isha" (or none of the above)?

the pictures are mine - I managed not to be in most of them (what with holding the camera and all). Anyway, this is one a fellow visitor to Tofukuji (near Kyoto) took for me.


5 comments:

satoza said...

You can connect two nouns using particle の. The first noun modifies (describes, explains, or qualifies) the second noun, but as you have pointed out, the relationship between two nouns is very ambiguous because it is determined by context. No particular English preposition corresponds exactly to this particle の.

We will review particle の sometime next week.

ai said...

いいしゃしんですね。きょうとのほかのおてらにもいきましたか?

Satomi said...

Hi, I'm TA who visited your class last Tuesday.

going to Tokyo sounds exciting!
BUT summer Tokyo is really hot and humid.

I also wondered how I can translate の to English when I start leaning English ^^

bao kang rui said...

That is a big score! Everyone seems to be going to Japan this summer... hopefully me, too. Maybe I can come see your lab. Are you able to practice a lot in the lab? Does your lab have windows? That seems critical.

Agu said...

いつにほんへいきましたか。わたしはきよねんとうきょうときょうとへいきました。にほんはきれいなですね。とうきょうへいきましたか。